Following the Bitterroot Valley 2000 wildfire season, the FireSMART Wagon was born! A mobile learning center to educate the public about “Living on the Edge” of forests and wildfire in the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI). The wagon is the product of small-town ingenuity and available for scheduled use by interested parties.
HOW CAN THE WAGON ASSIST YOU?
- Informing the public about creating defensible space,
- Share the values of prescribed fire,
- Introduce the natural role of fire in our forested lands,
- Be the information source during wildland fire
- and perhaps most critically, major suppression efforts will become a little easier—thanks to the mobile unit called the “Living on the Edge—FireSMART Wagon.”
WHAT WE OFFER
The FireSMART Wagon is equipped with a full range of interpretive and educational materials, including a TV/VCR and videos, a laptop computer and Smokey Bear items for the kids. Incident Command Teams have used the wagon extensively during Montana’s busy fire seasons and universally mentioned what a unique and valuable resource it proved to be. During the most intense burning days, the wagon saw over 100 visitors daily.
The project was funded by a National Fire Plan “Living with Fire” grant from the State & Private Forestry program (S&PF) of the USDA Forest Service. The Wagon continues to engage the public with grant funds from Montana Department of Natural Resources & Conservation (DNRC).
The FireSMART Wagon is a community
assistance response to the National Fire Plan.
- The FireSMART Wagon shares proactive materials and ideas with current and new landowners on how to reduce their risks from wildland fires.
- It increases the opportunity to expand the visitors' understanding of the forest’s fire-dependent ecosystems.
- During wildfire suppression campaigns, the Wagon can be located where it’s easy for impacted residents to access up-to-date information about evacuations, fire fighting progress, and weather predictions.
Our Partners Include
For Further Information or to Schedule use of the FireSMART Wagon
Contact Becki Koon
Bitter Root RC&D